Monday, April 1, 2013

The Colors of Grace by Linda Kage





Meet sixteen-year-old Grace Indigo:

When my mother remarried after thirteen years of being a widow, I had to move to a new town and enroll in a new school. Suddenly thrust into an entirely different kind of life, I just wanted to go home. I didn’t want to meet new people, didn’t want to leave my old friends, didn’t want to become a third wheel to my mom and her husband...and I really didn’t want to see Ryder Yates again. Ugh, I still don’t know why I turned down that too-good-to-be-true boy who flirted with me when we were attending separate schools.

But honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It was worse.

Who knew becoming lost in a new life could help a girl find her true colors?


Review: 

Characters: Grace Indigo, Ryder Yates, Bridget, Kate Indigo, Dr. Barry Struder, Todd, Kiera and other attached characters 

Stars : +++++

Genre: YA, Romance, Drama


Grace is  at her high school taking pictures of a basketball game for the yearbook. While she is on her quest to take pictures she trips and drops her camera. This is where Ryder gets in the picture. He is a guy  from Southeast high school; the opposite team. He flirts with her but she refrains herself from flirting back and turns him down. She was moving somewhere near Southeast HS with her mom and new dad and she knew she was going to see him sooner or later but she refused to mingle with the enemy so soon.

Meet Ryder:




Hot.!! Isn´t he? ;)

The night before her first day of class at Southeast HS her step dad surprises her  with a gift to try and get the edge of going by herself to a new school. What was the gift?? A 14 carat gold chain. Since then her mother start acting jealous of her own daughter with terrible mood swings and hell breaks loose. Since her first day at school she begins to hang out with the cool kids and gets informed in Ryder´s relationship status. He is currently dating a cheerleader named Keira and she hates him for flirting with her when he was already taken. She meets Todd, Ryder´s best friend and he seems interested in her and invites her out. Ryder tries to talk her out of going and claims she doesn't belong with his group. He also tells her that Todd is only interested in her because he assumes Ryder is interested as well and that he will ask "certain things" of their relationship. She doesn't care and goes anyway. After Todd takes her home he kisses her but she pulls away. Everybody thinks she with Todd but she´s not. They only hang around as friends even when Todd tries to make advances with her.

I was really mad at this situation. I really thought Ryder was single and just simply gorgeous.... and interested in her. High School boys pfffff.!!!!! 

Her mom is practically a different person since she got married. She is constantly scolding Grace and her step dad (Dr. Barry Struder)  is always trying to put himself in the way to help Grace to which her mother hates because she´s supposed to educate Grace as she sees fit and he´s not her father.  Later is known she gets brained washed by her new husband and he´s not what he seems to be. 

When I first started this book I doubted I was going to like it at all. Since the beginning I had the impression that Grace was extremely immature. Yeah, she has a group of friends called the nerd herd but it´s no excuse. She´s 16 and behaves like 13. I think she treated Ryder in a childish way when they first met. I couldn't stand "Holy Hossana" one more time,then it stopped and came back by the end of the book. I just wanted to smack someone. It also kind of looked somewhat like Twilight with her constantly slipping and tripping like the Bella chick and him being the white knight... 

This story had twists and turns I didn't expect other than the obvious about the step dad it was written almost from the beginning what was going to happen. I disliked that after 16 years Grace´s mom didn't trust her. They used to be such great friends. She was her confident and at some point of the story they distanced themselves. Taking her to the gynecologist to check if she wasn´t pregnant? Seriously.?!!  Also why you take your daughter into a new marriage if you´re gonna be jealous of her. We know she gets brained washed but trusting someone you barely know than your own daughter? I was so F"$&767ng MAD?! I didn´t know how the writer was going to pull off the end of the story I seriously thought something really really bad was going to happen so her mom could realized the mistake she´d made. This is a great story. I must read. I would have liked it to be a little bit longer with a what happened next after ....... ;) I laughed, I cried and I was COMPLETELY HOOKED to this book until I finished. I think this book deserves a 5 start because of the originality of the subject. Not everyone can pull a story of such a delicate matter and still end it with honors ;)

Favorite quote:
"I think it´s about time you pull out those big green eyes of yours".

(To understand it you´ll have to read it. It just made me laugh :S I´m  a YA fan LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment