Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies #1) by Tarryn Fisher


Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.


***********************************************************************

****SPOILER ALERT***

DON´T LOOK INTO THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN´T READ IT. MOST OF THE SPOILERS WILL BE UNDERLINED.

Oh my God.!! That ending shred my heart into tiny little pieces. I read it like 4 times (out loud while sobbing like a fucking baby! It was so sad, so cruel, so unfair and beautiful at the same time.


Noo!!! Words can´t describe what I´m currently feeling at this precise moment...I feel angst, sad, I´m fucking pissed!

I am VERY glad I read this book until know. Why?! Because the last installment was recently published this month, so imagine what my frustration would have been if it wasn't. 

This is one of a few books that makes me feel SO mad at the characters and the third parties and all the situations that are happening for their lack of fuc"&/ing COMMUNICATION.!!!! AGrrrrrrr.!!!

Let the roller coaster begin...


When I started reading this book my first thoughts where: "What a bitch! Is it as bad as she keeps telling what she did to him? Fucking Opportunist! you manipulative bitch.! But I was so wrong. This story is full of twists and turns and LOTS AND LOTS of misunderstandings. The characters are so fucked up. They claim to love each other but they don't communicate and, that unleashes a chain reaction that comes with life changing decisions.


This story is written in present and past chapters. It starts with her watching someone she hurt from her past that she never got over him and still loves. Caleb. She decides she will approach him and to her surprise, he doesn't remember her because he lost his memory in a a car accident three months ago. She obviously doesn't tell him who she is Fucking opportunist) and she has another chance to right her wrongs. Poor Caleb. 

DO NOT KEEP READING THIS REVIEW UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE BOOK FIRST 

While reading their present you get to see glimpses of what their relationship was after they first met at college. She was unattached and always holding back her emotions for him and felt inferior with others due to her lack of money. To be honest the poor girl had a traumatic past and she was afraid of commitment, I don't blame her at all. Caleb keeps trying to reassure her and psychoanalyzing her. He is fascinated by her strong will. His friends and family don't approve of their relationship but he doesn't care.

In the present, while she is trying to right her wrongs with him, a third wheel comes in sight. His girlfriend Leah who after his accident he no longer remembers her, but she has been by his side supporting him through that hard time. He tells Leah that he needs time to think and "they take a break". Meanwhile, he gets to know Olivia. I really felt bad for her at some point in this book because she had several opportunities to tell him about their past but he always shushed her.

Their MO for breakup is always flee from the scene of the crime and never look back and that´s what she is forced to do when Leah finds out who she really is. She doesn't want to stick around to face him when he remembers because the last time they spoke he had said he was done with her. She is a fucking coward

Olivia is a viper and apparently Leah is too. She doesn't play fair. Olivia decides to step out of the picture. She moves to Texas with her friend Cammie. She meets someone else while studying law school and gets engaged. 

Chapter from the past shows someone in a car accident disoriented. It´s Caleb when he gets to the hospital and doctors ask if he remembers, he denies it. WHAT?!!!!! HE KNEW ALL ALONG WHO HE WAS AND WHO SHE WAS?!!! MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLE.!!! WHY DIDN´T HE TELL HER!!!?? I DONT UNDERSTAND!HE LET HER GO AGAIN!!! I AM SO FUCKING MAD! SHE LEFT BECAUSE SHE WAS AFRAID OF WHAT HE´LL SAY OR DO AFTER HE REMEMBERED. WHAT A FUCKING MESS. 




They move back to Florida years later and while she´s at work she is given a case of some heiress who´s in trouble due to pharmaceutical charges. She is met by her husband who happens to be CALEB.!! That motherfucking asshole married fucking Leah as revenge! because he left him! AGRrrrr.. She doesn't tell him what Leah did to them.

She defends his wife and wins the case. Leah is free to keep her husband. She never got over the fact that Caleb loves Olivia. Caleb tries to tell her he never forgot. Obviously he doesn't have the chance to come clean. He is working in his marriage and apparently he loves Leah. He is mad at Olivia for leaving him twice. After some serious twists and turns she decides she´ll go talk to him come clean about everything and ask him to take her back. She and Cammie go to his house and break in and find some interesting stuff. She takes a flight to Rome where Caleb and Leah are staying. While flying to Rome she meet Noah and makes friends with him. She tells him all about the love of her life and how she let me go and all the shit that happened to them. She watches Leah approaching a recently bathed Caleb. She has to stop Leah´s attempts to get pregnant and calls the hotel to stop them. It works. Noah invites her to dinner. They have a very nice talk. She goes back to the hotel and stays outside looking at it and says words he´ll never get to hear. He is right behind her. He tells her he has to go back to his wife but that she´ll always be loved first. WHAT!!! THE!!!! FUCK.!!!!


HE IS FUCKING REALLY HAPPY WITH FUCKING RED HEAD MOTHERFUCKING BITCH.!

Because of the writing style you have to put the pieces together. You understand both better and realize that none of them are free from sin. They are both guilty of charge. 

Chapter with Olivia´s past lets you know why they broke up before his accident but doesn't fully shows you why and you start dreading to read what the fuck is going to happen... It is until 92% of the book that you fucking HATE Caleb. I assure you will fucking hate him. Fucking scumbag Caleb.!!! Agrrrrrrr


The ending is just heartbreaking. There´s not really a cliffhanger but they have to suffer through all their ordeals to try to be together and somehow not only their friends, his family but the whole fucking universe conspires to keep them apart.


I laughed, cried, and wanted to punch someone or something while reading this one. They just had to tell the truth to each other to fix things, but no! They never do it and they live through a fucking calvary. They assumed always the worst about them and they were both their worst enemies. It is the first book I read that doesn't end with the HEA I was expecting but leaves me with a bittersweet feeling.


"I take my first step and then my second and right before the door closes. I look once over my shoulder. Caleb is still under the tree, he winks at me, and I smile."


I bow to you Tarryn Fisher...


FAV Quotes:

"He chuckles at me. I envision myself jamming a pen into his trachea. Blood. There would be lots of blood to clean up. I better not."

"I had now officially secured my front row seat on the train to Hell."

"NO! Absolutely...No! I cant even believe...where the hell are you?"
"Come on, Cam, if I had another friend to ask, I would..."
"you certainly would not ask anyone else to do something so psychotic. And, if you did, I would be highly offended."
"I´m on my way to your house"
"Fine. I´ll be ready and waiting. Make sure you pick up the coffee."
"What car are we taking?"
"I thought you didn't want to."
"Of course I want to, but I would look like a bad person if I didn't object at all"

No comments:

Post a Comment