Monday, June 3, 2013

The Gatekeeper's Challenge (Gatekeeper's Trilogy #2)



Ten agonizing months have gone by since Therese faced off against her parents’ murderer at Mount Olympus, and she suspects Thanatos’s absence is meant to send her a message: go on with your life. She tries to return Pete’s affections even though her heart aches for the god of death, but when Than shows up to take her hamster’s soul, she becomes infuriated when he says he’s “been busy.” In cahoots with her new friend, who's gotten in with the Demon Druggies at school, Therese takes a drug that simulates a near-death experience, planning to tell Than off so she can have closure and move on, but things go very, very wrong.

Eventually she learns Than has been busy searching for a way to make her a god, and he’s found it, but it requires her to complete a set of impossible challenges designed by Hades, who hopes to see her fail.

Review:

I liked this book way much more than the first. After the gods make an oath in River Styx not to make Therese a God because she is not worthy of Thanatos after she failed to kill the man who murdered her parents, she is left alone. She keeps having dreams of Than but she hasn´t really seen him in ten long months. 

I understand why Than is in love with her but not the other way around. Yes, he is H-O-T, she met him at the skirts of the underworld when she followed her parents after the accident, and kissed him because he was very lovely, but we never really know what does she sees in him besides being gorgeous, the God of death and kind to her. There were parts that made me laugh by the wit of them both. 

I was seriously glued to my kindle when reading the five challenges. She had to [ deliver a black box to Persephone without opening it, take an apple from Hera´s garden that is guarded by a a one-hundred headed snake and take it to Mount Olympus, walk through the labyrinth and pass the Minotaur, defeat the Hydra and finally go to the underworld and apologise to Vicky and go back to the living world WITHOUT LOOKING BACK...

She almost passed with honors each and one of the challenges and guess which one did she failed?! She was soooo Soooo easily tricked and that is something I didn´t like at all and in my opinion the Furies were extra information we didn´t have to read.. She was already calling for Vicky, they didn´t have to "force"/"scare" her to do it. Seriously?! I think the series could end with this one but I´ll give the benefit of the doubt and read the third installment why?! Because I want my HEA without Than suffering year by year  at the hands of the maenads.

How are you going to pull that off Mrs. Pohler?!

"May I pet him?" - I was glad not to see this very often in the story. There were parts I thought I saw a glimpse of a more mature Therese.

"Stormy" - Something about that name makes me feel bile in the throat. She is 16 and names a foal Stormy..(Maybe I prefer strong names)

Again I think Therese should have been older, there is strong content in this one.. [ Burning alive to become a God, teenagers getting drugged to die for few minutes and get near death experiences to see their loved ones (How to get drugged 101) and we all know Jen is being molested by her father.

Aside from the things I didn´t like, I read this book in a day, It´s good indeed. This woman knows her way through Greek Mythology. Maybe she is a Historian ... hmmm



No comments:

Post a Comment